Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy & Sad


Today is Monday. Thinking back over the weekend, I am both happy and sad. Happy my family came together for the joyous occasion of celebrating my cousin's 80th birthday. Yet sad about our collective state of health. So much sickness and chronic poor health conditions: diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, asthma, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, and the OBESTY! UGH!

In my unscientific observations, I estimate that 95% of the women at the cookout were overweight (unfortunately myself included). Of that 95% of overweight girls and women, a good 90% of that cohort are morbidly obese. One look at the banquet that was spread out and I clearly understand why. There was no menu, per se. Just an over-the-top smorgasbord of every kind of meat and starch imaginable, with a smattering of fruits and vegetables thrown in. Oh yes, plus the drinks and desserts. Everything was oh so tempting. And everything was oh so delicious. And the fellowship was absolutely grand.

But there’s something wrong with this picture. So much food was on display it was virtually impossible to consume it all in one day, even by a crowd of over 100 people! But boy how we tried!!! One trip up to the table after another. Some of this and some of that and then some of that too. All under the guise of observing the time-honored tradition of getting the family together around an overflowing table of soul food. With this kind of ingrained behavior - admitting that gluttony has become a cultural acceptance, as a family we can only look forward to more marginalized lives due to obesity and its complications, more chronic diseases and more pre-mature deaths. So many relatives have passed away through the years, family members who are 10, 20, 30 and even 40 years younger than my 82-year-old-Mom and 90-year-old-Dad.

As a result of my feelings and observations, today I decided to redouble my efforts on my own personal health quest, to return to optimal weight and fitness levels. I went online and registered for dailyburn.com, in order to track my progress. Here’s a photo of me taken last month on Mother’s Day. This time next year, I promise there will be a slimmer, healthier me. Wish me luck, pray for me & stay tuned for future posts. Asante Sana. Peace & Blessings Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment